"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Stranded

Last Sunday night I left my keys in Chris' car, by accident, of course.  And he, in turn, drove off to work with my keys the next morning.  Also by accident, of course.  So the kids and I were stuck at home for the entire day.  

I was so upset.  We had plans.  Shaun's piano practice.  The gym.  Errands.  But, by the time I realized where my keys were, it was too late for Chris to come back so we dealt with it.  The piano lesson was moved to the next afternoon and I let the gym and errands go until then as well.  

The kids and I stayed home the entire day and got so much accomplished!  

Jordan finished all of his homework without being rushed, Shaun completed a whole day of schoolwork (usually, since Jordan is home on Monday's, we don't get everything done and have to double up the next day).  The kitchen finally got a really good cleaning and I even started catching up on my laundry.  

Oh, and the weather was gorgeous that day.  Temps in the 70s and bright sunshine.  We spent a lot of time outside.  The boys played football and rode bikes.  Violet rode her little car and jumped on the trampoline.  We read some books and had snacks outside and just enjoyed the weather while crossing our fingers and hoping that the cold weather was gone for good.  (It wasn't. I think we had highs in the 30s for the next few days)

It was a really good, low-key, relaxing day. All because I forgot my keys in Chris' car.  It's good to slow down and take it easy sometimes.  It made me miss the days when the boys were little and we'd blow off school to  take a "sun-shine day" at the park.  I need to take Violet to the more often!  

The bottom line, and the reason I felt the need to blog about this day a whole week after the fact, is that I needed the reminder to take time to just "be".  Even though I was inconvenienced and irritated at first.  


No comments: