"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Bedtime

Oh, I promised myself that I would blog more and I'm failing!

Since it's on my mind, I'm going to write about Violet's bedtime routine today.  

First of all, Vi loves animals.  She has a menagerie that she carries around with her.  Her favorites are:  Bun (The Velveteen Rabit), Monkey (a Build-A-Bear the boys made for her before she was even born), and Bear (I don't even really know where Bear came from).  There are more, but these three are her favorites.  

Violet is usually pretty good about going to sleep.  She's starting to give a little attitude, though.  Last night, for instance, it was time for bed and I asked if she was ready.  Her reply?  "No thanks.  I'm fine.)  I swear.  Sometimes she sounds like she's already a teenager.  

She doesn't usually put up a fuss.  We tell her it's time and she says, "My animals!" and begins to gather them up.  Last night, Shaun was nice enough to go out to the car and retrieve Bun for her.  Then, when all animals are accounted for, we kiss them all goodnight.  Yes, you read correctly.  I cannot really believe it myself.  I never thought I'd see the day when I would kiss stuffed animals goodnight.  I'm not the only one... the boys also participate.  So does Chris!  Like I said, I never thought I'd see the day.  

So, we all kiss whatever animals Vi is sleeping with and then I carry her to her room.  She still sleeps in a crib.  She's never tried to climb out.  If you've ever been around my daughter, you'll agree that this is a small miracle!  She lays down on her pillow that my Aunt Nancy made out of my Mamaw's old nightgowns, flanked on both sides by her buddies.  Then comes the covers.  Her favorite pink blanket comes first.  This used to be the only cover, but a few weeks ago Violet stated that she wanted two blankets, and more recently she needs three.  (I do go in and remove some of them after she falls asleep.)

I kiss everyone goodnight one more time.  Usually I'll say something like, "See you guys in the morning".  Don't judge!  And usually Violet and her friends go right to sleep.  

I took this picture a few weeks ago.  So sweet.
  
As you can see, only Bun and Monkey made the cut.  

I am just so glad she's mine. 

No comments: