"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

At the library.

I love the library. Always have, always will.  
I even joined the Adult Reading Program at our library.
I only wish that the prize at the end of the summer was a sleepover at the library the way it was when I was a kid.  That sleepover was one of the best nights of my life!


I used to love going to the library with my children, but that's over.  The oldest one sulks because he "only wants to read on his Kindle", the middle one whines to play Minecraft, and the little one... well.  She likes books.  A whole lot.  She loves going to the library and pulling all of those wonderful books off the shelves.  

Going to the library with my little darlings is not fun anymore.  

Lately I've been doing this:  googling books that kids (and teens and adults) like to read, reserving said books, waiting for my email confirming that our books are in, and finally going to the library.  I park by the door, leave the kids in the car, run in and get our books.  

Today, the whole family was together and some of our books came in.  So we all went on the way to the YMCA.  Chris stayed in the car but Jordan wanted to come in.  I knew that some of the kids' books were in.  I had reserved a few for myself, too, but I think they're in high demand.  I picked out a book to hold me over until the book I really want to read came in.  (Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, if you're interested.  I'm on a Gillian Flynn kick.  I just finished Dark Places.  Very scary.  But now I'm hooked.)

We ran into the boys' chorus instructor at the checkout desk and had a nice chat.  The mail man came in with his delivery while we were talking and the librarian had started to check in all of the reserved books that came in.  When we were finally ready to check out, I saw Gone Girl right on top of the pile.  I couldn't help it.  "Oh, is that for me??  I reserved that!" I shrieked at the librarian. I'm so glad that librarians like to read as much as I do.  She didn't even think my excitement was odd.  And, as it turned out, it was my copy of Gone Girl.  Going to read it now. 

And, for the record, I feel so guilty about not actually taking the kids into the library.  This has to change.  I want them to love it as much as I do.  

No comments: