"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Hats and comments regarding said hats

Last night was declared "Mom's Nite Out" by my friend Elissa and myself. We need moments away from our precious families from time to time...so that we'll still love them the next day. I can't speak for Elissa, but the every day stressors
that occuur in my household definitely leave me ready for a break. Awhile ago, my wonderful Hubs began to realize that I needed a break as well. So we declared Thursday nights to be "Mom's Night". On Thursdays, I can do whatever I want. Within reason, of course.

I really, really appreciate the Hubs giving me this time every week, which is just for me. Sometimes I grocery shop. Sometimes I sit at Panara Bread with a good book and a Greek Salad. Sometimes I shop for the kids. Sometimes I shop for me! Sometimes I bring a friend, and sometimes I go it alone.

This week, since the Hubs had to work on (GASP) Thursday,
Elissa and I made plans for Saturday evening. My parents took the children to a fair and Halloween costume hunting, which meant that Hubs was able to have some alone time with Call of Duty on XBOX Live. As you can imagine, everyone involved was pleased as punch with these arrangements.

So off I drove to meet Elissa. I was running late, and she was awesome enough to put our name down at the restaurant, which was super-crowded. And, as luck would have it, her pager started singing right when I walked through the door. Is that Devine or what?

We ate. And laughed. And laughed. And ate. And laughed and laughed some more. To-go boxes were needed, which was fine with us. We skipped out and I rode along with Elissa in her husband's BMW...right across the street to Michael's. A craft store that has just opened.

I realize that some of you are laughing right now at the very idea of me walking willingly into a craft store. I am not crafty, I don't sew, I don't knit, and I don't scrapbook. But. Someone....who is not me and who's name begins with the letter E convinced me that I could begin making my own jewelry. She was very convincing, this friend of mine, and I left the store with supplies to make a necklace and a pair of earrings. I kinda sorta made the necklace last night. I wore it to church today. I received several complements and one sweet lady asked if I'd bought it at Wal-Mart. So maybe I need to "embellish" it a little.

Anyway, we became very silly in the craft store, amusing a fellow shopper and several employees before we left and headed to ....Marshalls! Elissa was looking for comforters for her soon-to-be-5-year-old-twins. Which she didn't find. I was looking for some crazy-good deals on some shirts or shoes. Which I didn't find.

What we did find was...Hats. And we had such fun with those hats. Even though they were impractical. And made our heads look long. We were so silly trying on these hats. And then, when Elissa posted the pictures to FaceBook, even sillier are the comments that were made. I'll list some here:

A silly hat,
A silly hat,
I wear it on my head because that's where it's at
I know it looks as funny as can be!

...
If someone saw my silly hat,
they'd think it was the funniest thing they'd seen!

I love you ladies...and your hats. :D

P.S. We neeeeed another girl's night soon; it has almost been a month
!

--Elia

"heeheeeheee... this one makes me smile... and laugh! It's so deceiving... she looks so sweet and innocent here."

---Kendra


"I know, right, ?"

---Elissa

"I just love how my stomach makes that black hat look sooooo small!"

---Erin


"We moms wear many hats."

---Elissa

How profound. I couldn't agree more. I couldn't love this picture any more, either!

No comments: