"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Friday, December 8, 2017

Weighty Issues

Again.  It's always the weight.  I was doing so well at the beginning of this year.  My doctor and I had finally diagnosed my thyroid issue, and my medication was working.  My hair was growing back.  I was eating right, exercising, and the weight was coming off.  

Then came the burn.  It took months to heal, and I literally couldn't move without grimacing in pain.  I stayed home on the couch unless it was absolutely necessary.  While I stayed home, I ate.  And ate and ate, for 2 months.  Even after I was able to get around again, I still couldn't exercise.  For me, exercise and eating right go hand in hand.  If I slack on one, I'll slack on the other.  So, I'd take the kids to the YMCA and eat snacks while they swam.  For real.  And I gained 30 pounds. 

I had to see a plastic surgeon for my burn, and that visit turned into Panniculectomy surgery.  If you don't know what that is, click the link for the gory details.  I came out of that surgery ten pounds lighter, which was exciting.  I wasn't expecting the recovery to be as bad as it was.  I went into this surgery thinking that the recovery would be similar to my three c-sections.  It just wasn't.  Recovery took about 2 months, the first of which is just a haze of pain medication.  And food, of course.  Our friends and families blessed us with meals while I recovered, and they fed us very well.  Plus I snacked all the time, when I wasn't sleeping.  

When I finally got the nerve to step on the scale last month, I had gained 40 pounds.  Seriously, only I could wind up weighing more after having ten pounds of excess fat and skin removed.  

I went back to my PCP doctor and found out that my blood sugar was high again.  She recommended a low carb way of life.  Again.  I was doubtful, because I'd tried it before, for a whole summer, and only lost 7 pounds.  But that was before my thyroid medicine kicked in.  I contemplated trying again, and then it seemed like everyone I knew was talking about going Keto.  I took that as a sign, so I started up again a week and a half ago.  

Chris is on board too, this time.  It's definitely an adjustment for him.  A whole new way of approaching what we eat.  Low carb, high fat, moderate protein.  Lots of green veggies and meat.  Just no bread, sugar, potatoes, or fruit.  Except berries.  In moderation.  

So, I started last Monday.  I weighed myself the other day, on Wednesday, and I was down four pounds.  This post has taken me three days to compose, so I'm not sure what the posted date will show.  Today is Friday, I started this post on Wednesday.  I'll have to check for future reference.  

So, anyway, on Wednesday, about a week and a half after starting Keto, I was down four pounds.  We had co-op that day, and our Christmas potluck lunch.  I made a Keto friendly spinach dip that I planned to eat with celery from a veggie tray and some cheese and pepperoni.  There are several other Keto moms in our group, so we had some options!  However.  I wound up at the end of the line.  By the time I got to the food, all of my Keto food was gone, except for some cheese.  There was a TON of food there, so I think the problem was that kids were loading up their plates with way more than they'd ever eat.  Even my spinach dip was gone.  So, I just ate whatever.  Chips and onion dip.  Some meatballs made with jelly and barbque sauce.  And a cookie.  I did eat a few veggie sticks, and someone made a finger food that consisted of a dill pickle wrapped in cream cheese and a slice of ham...these were really good, and Keto approved.  

Oh, and I drank some apple cider, too.

I felt absolutely horrible for the rest of the night.  So tired and sluggish.  It wasn't worth it.  

The next day was a new day, thank God.  My plan is to make it to Christmas with no slip ups.  I really have to take it day by day.  Sometimes minute by minute.  Like a true addict.  Food is my drug of choice.  

No comments: