"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Ice and Such

Well, this Georgia weather has been downright mean lately.  We  had an ice storm and everyone lost power.  When I say "everybody", I mean everyone I physically know in Georgia lost power at some point on Monday night.  My  vehicle is currently in the shop, so I had to take Chris to work Monday morning and go back to pick him up that evening.  The kids and I actually went really, really early- like several hours early- and just hung out at church waiting for him so I wouldn't have to drive home in the sleet.  

On the way home, the roads were fine, but the ice continued to fall and then we saw a big blue explosion in the sky.  Chris said, "There goes our power", and he was correct.  

We were totally unprepared.  One flashlight and 2 candles.  Ha ha!  We stopped at  my parents'  house on the way home just to kill some time.  While we were there, the power came back on.  We all screamed in delight.  Then it went back off.  And we booed.  This went on for several more rounds before it became dark for good.  Then we went home and settled down in the living room.  Shaun  said he felt like he was in The Walking Dead and I had to agree.  The lights came on once more but then we lost power around midnight and it stayed off until about 5:00 the next afternoon.  Oh, and Violet had an ear infection.  Fun times!  We got really desperate around lunchtime on Tuesday and built a fire in our fireplace.  I can only remember doing that 2 other times in this house, years and  years ago.  The kids loved it.  Violet said it smelled like chicken.  

Jordan has been out of school this whole week due to the city's lack of power so we had a snow week.  Or ice week.  Church was called off last night as well.  We've been watching movies, reading books, and eating.  

We were actually one of the lucky families who experienced the least amount of time without power.  Some people close to us still  don't have it.  And  now we're under another Winter Storm Watch for tomorrow.  

I'm over winter.  


No comments: