"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Squash!

I don't have a green thumb and I don't garden, but my family does.  This year, especially, they've been overrun with green beans and squash.  So they pass their bounty along to me.  I've been freezing the green beans because my mom's been passing along more than we can eat.  The other day she gave me a bucket of squash that needed to me cooked by the next day.  

Mostly, when I think of squash, I think of frying it.  I love fried squash.  So do my kids.  But that day I didn't have any corn meal or "frying" oil.  Only olive oil, which my Granny says is NOT suitable for squash frying.  

I decided to make a squash casserole instead.  "Casserole" might be stretching it...maybe "Super Easy Squash and Zucchini Rice Dish" would be a better description.  

I used:
1 box of brown rice, cooked.

zucchini and squash-  I don't remember how many I used.  A lot.  Maybe 8?

red onion- maybe 1/2 an onion

1 pack of frozen spinach, cooked and drained

sour cream

pack of ranch dip (I usually use onion powder to season, but I had some extra packs of dip and decided to go with it).

sharp cheddar cheese


I diced the squash, zucchini, and onion and cooked it with Pam until tender.

I mixed everything together in a bowl and then cooked it in a greased casserole dish.  My family devoured it.  Violet ate 4 helpings the first night, and everybody else ate at least two huge servings.  And they wanted it for lunch the next day.   

So easy, and I'm sure I won't be winning any awards for my cooking skills, but my kids ate their veggies and loved them!  I'll definitely be making this again. 



No comments: